by Tharan W. Leopold, LFM President
Roughly one year ago, I began my role as President of the Lupus Foundation of Minnesota. Since all three Lupus Walk for Hope & 5K Run events had already taken place, I had been patiently waiting for the fall of 2016 to arrive so I could experience each one firsthand.
Each event, with its own uniqueness and energy, almost felt like a family celebration to me. Individuals who maybe hadn’t seen each other in months coming together for a common purpose – to champion for a cure for lupus, to support one another, to generate awareness about the disease, and to share stories.
There were a number of things that amazed me and made me feel honored to be part of this lupus community, including:
- The wonderful individuals who volunteered their time and talents. Each of the Walk/5K events was truly a team effort and everyone pitched in and took charge of their respective assignment: pre-event set-up, registration, snacks, silent auction assistance, and numerous other activities. To all of you, we say thank you!
- The fantastic walkers and runners who participated – whether your first time or sixth time – and generated greater awareness about lupus. To all of you, we say thank you!
- The 2016 Lupus Ambassadors – Katie, Meghan, and Trish – who shared their stories and provided motivation and encouragement. To the three of you, we say thank you!
- The hundreds of individuals and teams who raised funds, generating a collective $65,000 net, providing a meaningful impact on our focus areas of education, support, and research. To all of you, we say thank you!
- The event sponsors and in-kind donors who helped make all three events possible. To all of you, we say thank you!
With deepest gratitude and appreciation, we say thank you, to each and every one of you!
May a healthy mind, body and spirit be yours today and all year through!